Friday, January 11, 2013

Conquering Mount Vesuvius

In July last year my husband and I had an amazing adventure in Europe. It was our first trip overseas and everything we experienced was new and exciting. We saw the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, felt the cold stone of the Colosseum in Rome, and dressed up as traditional Dutch people in Amsterdam. Of all the wonderful things we experienced, one particular adventure stands out for both my husband and I…but for very different reasons.
When we were planning our trip to Rome, my husband mentioned that he’d booked a day tour for us to go visit Mount Vesuvius and the ruins of the city of Pompeii. Mount Vesuvius is a (now) dormant volcano that is well known for a huge eruption in 79 AD that left the city of Pompeii under layers of lava and ash. As a history teacher, that sounded rather fascinating to me. He also mentioned something about hiking to the top of the volcano. Not being a fan of strenuous exercise or being near a volcano that destroyed a city, I protested. But, my husband assured me that Mount Vesuvius had been dormant for years (it last erupted in 1944) and that it wouldn’t be too steep a climb. He assured me that it was a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience.
The day finally arrived and after a three hour bus drive, we got to the volcano. It was about 34 degrees that day and if it hadn’t been for the air con in the bus, it would have been a very uncomfortable trip. As we were driven closer to the volcano, I started to get more and more concerned about the impending hike. We arrived at a sandy area, with scattered tourist shops and were told that we had one hour to hike up the volcano and return to our tour group.
I took about three steps up the hiking path when I realised that it was not going to be a good experience. The path was made up of tiny pieces of gravel that felt like beach sand when you walked on it. I think only experienced hikers would call it ‘not too steep’ because it really felt steep to me. It was ridiculously hot, and dry, and dusty. I thought I would never be able to make it up to the top of the volcano.
My husband loved the experience and walked on ahead. I struggled, out of breath. Every few steps he would wait for me and say, “You can do it!” I would usually just groan. After a while, other hikers would walk ahead of us. I was surprised at how easily they managed to handle the task. Then a woman who looked about seventy overtook us. At this stage I was seriously questioning my athleticism!
As we climbed higher, and my calves felt more and more painful, I noticed that the people ahead of us were now on their descent. They chatted excitedly to each other about what they had seen as they effortlessly made their way down the hiking trail toward us. Seeing them so excited gave me extra energy. There was an end in sight and the journey back seemed much easier than the journey up. My husband continued to encourage me and gave me his hand so that he could pull me up when we got to paths with larger rocks.
We finally reached the top of our trail and looked down over the crater of Mount Vesuvius. It was…a valley of dark ash. The crater itself wasn’t exactly exciting, but the view of Naples below, was beautiful. I felt a great sense of accomplishment that filled me with excitement. I had done it –I had conquered Mount Vesuvius!
The walk back down the volcano was definitely much easier and I gave exhausted- looking hikers on their way up a smile of encouragement. I hoped that them seeing how much easier the descent was would inspire them like it had inspired me.
As we got closer and closer to our meeting point, I thought about how life is a series of ‘Mount Vesuvius’s.’ So often we go through really difficult times that really seem impossible to get through. My husband and I had been through a really difficult year before our trip and what we had experienced completely challenged our plans for the future. It had been a painful and uncomfortable time. But, we had an encourager throughout it all. God constantly reminded us that we could do all things through Him who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13.)
What is your Mount Vesuvius? It doesn’t matter how hectic or hopeless the situation, God can pull you through it. He is close to the brokenhearted (Psalm 34:18) and will comfort you. He will reach out and grab your hand and help you conquer the obstacle. He will send encouragement. You will see that many people around you have climbed your Vesuvius too and have made it down with His help – let this encourage you. Remember that ‘our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all’ (2 Corinthians 4:17.) There is victory ahead. And when you have conquered your Vesuvius you can share your story with those who are still battling through the ascent so that they too will be inspired and encouraged.
The adventure of climbing Mount Vesuvius stood out for my husband as one of historical significance. For me it was a painful one, but one that in the end, reminded me of God’s faithfulness in life’s challenges. I hope it will remind you to look for Him in times of difficulty too.
At the end, my husband was right – hiking up Mount Vesuvius was a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience…because I am never going hiking ever again J

No comments:

Post a Comment